What to do before and after dental implant surgery
Our Glendale dentist recognizes that dental implant surgery can make many patients anxious. However, we strive to provide comfortable, and a relaxing dental experience, which means that we will do everything possible to make your dental implant procedure run smoothly. Please review the following tips to keep in mind for before and after the dental implant surgery.
Before dental implant surgery
- We recommend leaving your schedule open: You will probably feel good enough to return to your normal activities. However, we encourage you to take the day off to rest to promote proper healing.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing with buttons if possible: You do not want to have to struggle with any clothing pieces when you undress. It’s best to be comfortable is loose-fitting clothing.
- Closely follow suggestions given to you by our Glendale dentist: Since surgery is done under local anesthesia, you are allowed to eat and drink before your procedure. Any other relevant information for preparation will also need to be completed.
After dental implant surgery
- You may experience bleeding following the implant surgery. Biting down on gauze will help stop the bleeding.
- Be sure to take any medication that is prescribed to you. Depending on your medical history, our dentist may prescribe antibiotics or pain medication.
- Sustain a soft diet. Be sure to maintain a soft diet for the first 24 to 48 hours following the implant surgery. Choose food items like ice cream, milkshakes, etc.
- Keep your mouth extra clean. It’s important that you practice excellent oral care to prevent any infections and proper healing of your gums.
Dental Implant Post-Op Care
If you have any further questions regarding your upcoming dental implant surgery or are interesting in knowing more about dental implants, please contact our Glendale dental office today for a consultation.