Oral Care Tips for Post-op Surgery
There are numerous types of oral surgery, and many of our patients often have questions post-operative surgical care. At our Glendale office, Dr. Baghdasaryan is our attending oral surgeon and will perform any surgery you may need. Some of the treatments that require oral surgery include:
- Impacted Teeth: Wisdom teeth, which are also known as third molars, begin to erupt usually in late adolescents to young adults. It can sometimes occur that these teeth do not have enough space to emerge and can become trapped, which often sparks extreme comfort. These teeth can be extracted through oral surgery.
- Tooth loss: Accidents or infections can lead to tooth loss. The most effective solution to replacing missing teeth is by getting a dental implant, which is placed through surgery with our oral surgeon.
- Jaw Problems: Some of the jaw problems that require surgery include unequal jaw growth, getting a better fit for dentures or TMJ issues.
- Injury, trauma or other general problems: These include facial injuries, lesion removal/biopsy, cleft lip or cleft palate repair.
Post-op care after oral surgery is extremely important so that no complications or other issues occur that may require more treatment. After surgery, you can expect bleeding, swelling and slight pain. To be sure that your healing period runs smoothly, we suggest the following:
- Take all medication as directed. Your contentdentist or oral surgeon may prescribe antibiotics and/or painkillers to make sure the area heals properly and that you are comfortable. Be sure to follow all of his recommendations.
- Maintain a soft diet. Stock up on that ice cream! You may also eat plenty of other goodies like milkshakes, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and more!
- Keep your mouth extra clean. You may brush your teeth the night of the surgery and the day after can begin to rinse 5-6 times daily with a mixture of water and salt.
- Stay hydrated. This goes for pretty much all phases of dental treatment, including oral surgery. Drink lots of water!
If you have any questions regarding post-operative care, please do not hesitate to contact our Glendale dental office. We are here to tend to your every need!
Location: 6300 San Fernando Rd, Glendale, CA 91201