Sedation Dentistry: A Reason To Dream!
Frequently, a scheduled visit to the dentist is looked on with a degree of anxiety and fear. As a matter of fact, nearly 30% of Americans are afraid of a dentist and feel uncomfortable when placed in a dental chair. However, there is no need to hide or feel embarrassed about dental anxiety. Our specialized dental team at CyberDent in Glendale offers sedation dentistry for a pain and stress-free dental experience.
What is sedation dentistry ?
Sedation dentistry is a procedure that involves the use of sedative medications to produce a relaxed and anxiety-free experience for patients with dental phobias, enabling the dentist to perform dental treatment. Unlike sleep dentistry which involves the use of general anesthesia and a deep state of sleep, with sedation dentistry patients feel sleepy but are still conscious although they may not remember much of the dental procedure.
"Nearly 30% of Americans are afraid of a dentist and feel uncomfortable when placed in a dental chair"
Types of sedation
There are several types of sedation to facilitate a relaxing dental visit. These are:
- Oral conscious sedation
- Inhalation sedation - nitrous oxide
- Intravenous (IV) sedation
- Intramuscular sedation
- Local anesthesia
Who is a candidate for sedation dentistry ?
- Fear needles and shots
- Feel anxiety with noises, smells and tastes related to dental treatment
- Had traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Have very sensitive teeth
- Have a serious gag reflex
- Have limited time to complete dental treatment
- Have complex dental conditions
Relaxed and anxiety-free experience
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry provides great benefits for patients of all ages. Our Glendale dentists, recommend sedation because it:
- Creates a relaxing atmosphere for patients undergoing treatment
- Makes treatment faster without requiring further visits
- Enables patients to stay still and control their nerves
- Makes patients feel like the procedure only took a couple of minutes
- Helps overcome dental phobias and fears
Safe, effective and comfortable dental treatment for anxious and fearful patients is available at CyberDent. Call our dental office today for an appointment and we will let you know which level and type of sedation is best for you!