What to Do If a Dental Crown Comes Loose:
It’s unusual for a crown to become loose considering the technique used is very permanent and works almost like a natural tooth. However, it can happen for a variety of reasons. The first thing to do if your dental crown becomes loose is remain calm. After this, we suggest the following tips:
- Refrain from eating hard or sticky foods. Since the tooth under the crown does not have the strength or protection that a crown provides, it could be further damaged or can become infected should anything happen to it.
- If the crown is broken or comes loose, don’t leave it in your mouth. Remove it right away! If it is possible, place the crown in a small container and take it to your dentist.
- Look to see if there are broken pieces of tooth. Unfortunately, a loose crown could mean damage to your tooth. Look to see if your tooth is missing any pieces.
- Keep the area as clean as possible. Clean the area where the crown was gentle with a toothbrush and rinse well.
- Call your dentist for an appointment immediately. See your dentist as soon as you can to have the crown put back into place or replaced.
Once you get in to see your dentist, if you have the existing dental crown, he or she will decide if it can be put back in place. Otherwise, a new dental crown will be placed, or your dentist in Glendale will provide you with other options.
Location: 6300 San Fernando Rd, Glendale, CA 91201